Skip to content

Holiday Lets Regulations

Holiday lets – What you need to know if you are considering letting out your property and who to call to report a problem

If you are considering doing holiday lets in Javea, there are several rules and regulations that you need to follow. Some of the most important ones include:

  • Obtain the necessary licenses and permits: As the property owner, you must obtain a tourist rental license, which is issued by the Generalitat Valenciana. You may also need to obtain other permits, such as a building permit, depending on the type of property you are renting out.
  • You will need to register your guests with the police: You must register your guests with the local police within 24 hours of their arrival. This can be done by registering your property with the Guardia Civil. You can then upload your guests’ details onto the ‘Guardia Civil Portal’. There are also paid Apps that can help simplify this process such as
  • Comply with safety regulations: Your property must meet certain safety standards, such as having smoke detectors, carbon monoxide sensor and fire extinguishers, and you must provide your guests with safety information.
  • Follow fire regulations: Between June and October you cannot have any type of burn/ bbq/ agricultural fire, in a forest or within 400-500 meters of one, or use tools or motors which may cause a spark – metal bladed strimmers, motor bikes etc. The authorities would likely turn a blind eye to a BBQ if you have taken precautions, hose pipe to hand, spark inhibitors, gas rather than wood or charcoal*. Also, be aware that some urbanisations in urban forest areas will enforce the law more rigorously than others and you risk being reported by your own neigbours. So, think carefully before you do anything which could cause a fire.

*Do so at your own risk

  • Respect waste disposal regulations: Dispose of all waste properly and ensure that your guests do the same.
  • Follow noise restrictions: You must ensure that your guests do not make excessive noise that disturbs the neighbours. Fines for property owners vary between € 100 and € 750.

Article 15 Section 57. Noise generated by individuals:

o Any type of noise-producing activity that can be avoided, such as loud music, building work, domestic repairs or moving furniture, is prohibited, especially between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m.
o It is forbidden to shout or sing inside buildings used as dwellings, especially between midnight and 8 a.m. the following day or at times established as rest periods by the municipal authority.
o Property owners must make every effort to prevent any nuisance that may be caused to the neighbourhood by tenants or tenants’ occupants. Warning them of the obligation to respect the rules of coexistence.

  • Maintain liability insurance: You must maintain liability insurance in case of accidents or damage to your property.
  • Pay the relevant taxes: Be aware that you may need to pay income tax on the rental income you receive. Please check with your accountant.

  It is important to note that these rules and regulations may vary depending on the specific location in Javea and the type of property you are renting out. It is recommended that you consult with a local expert or atorney to ensure that you are following all the relevant laws and regulations.

Useful telephone numbers to report issues:

Guardia Civil 96 579 1085

Emergency 112

Police 96 579 0081

Fire 96 578 0080

Iberdrola – Electricity 96 579 1295

Amjasa – Water 96 579 0162

This information is provided as guidance only and could change at any time. It should not be considered as legal advice. You should always seek advice from a professional on a specific enquiry.  

What to do if you want to make a complaint – how to make a denuncia about noise

If you live close to a noisy house, there is always the option of making a “denuncia” to the authorities. If the noise comes from actual neighbours, then the advice would always be to try to negotiate with them before involving the Police. If the noise is happening RIGHT NOW, then call the Police on 965790081. If you have suffered repeat occurrences of the noise, from a rental property for example, you can make an official denuncia either at the Police Station (the modern building next to the Clot) or at the Guardia Civil (Avenida dels Furs 13, close to the Port) with the help of an officer.

The process is the same for denouncing any wrongdoing – dumping stuff, noisy workmen, house extensions without permission, that sort of thing. If you have evidence, photos etc., you could also take them to the office at the Clot and one of the staff there will create the file and pass it onto the police.